- AMDD Celebrates the International Day of the Midwife
- New AMDD EmONC Needs Assesment tool available on our site
- Video of AMDD at Global Maternal Health Conference
- AMDD at The Global Maternal Health Conference 2010 in New Delhi, August 30 to September 1
- Watch A Larger Picture, a new short video by AMDD
- AMDD Director Discusses Saving Women’s Lives on WNYC’s Leonard Lopate Show
- AMDD at Women Deliver
- Newsletter Update on Human Resources for Maternal Survival: Task-Shifting to Non-Physician Clinicians
- The Mailman School of Public Health Spotlights AMDD Director Lynn Freedman with Short Video
- Maternal Health Documentary by Mailman School Student Christy Turlington Burns Premieres at the Tribeca Film Festival in NY
Recent blog posts
Our work is urgent
- Over 7 million pregnancy-related deaths, including maternal deaths, newborn deaths, and stillbirths happen each year. That’s 50% more than the annual deaths from AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria combined.
- 99% of maternal deaths occur in developing countries.
- 75% of maternal deaths can be prevented by skilled health care providers backed up by emergency obstetric care (EmOC).
- We have until 2015 to reduce maternal deaths by 75% to meet Millennium Development Goal 5. We can’t do this without strong health systems that ensure universal access to EmOC.