Evaluating the quality of care for severe pregnancy complicationsThe WHO near-miss approach for maternal health (WHO 2011)
Needs Assessment of Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care: Data Collection Modules. AMDD, Columbia University. 2010. Also available in Français
Earlier editions of the handbook:
Guidelines for monitoring the availability and use of obstetric services. UNICEF, WHO, UNFPA. August 1997. Also available in Français and Español
A tool for assessing "readiness" in emergency obstetric care The room-by-room "walk-through" (AMDD, 2005)
Using the U.N. process indicators of emergency obstetric services: questions and answers. AMDD, Columbia University. 2003. Also available in Français and Español
Reducing maternal deaths: selecting priorities, tracking progress. Distance learning courses on population issues. UNFPA and AMDD. 2002.
- Course Guide
- Module 1: Understanding the Causes of Maternal Deaths
- Module 2: Using Indicators to Assess Progress in Reducing Maternal Deaths
- Module 3: Targeting Maternal Deaths Through Policies and Programs
EmONC Training Curricula Comparison. AMDD. May 2010. Includes comparison of curricula and tools to support training.
Prise en charge des complications de la grossesse et de l'accouchement : guide destiné à la sage-femme et au médecin. OMS, UNFPA, UNICEF, Banque Mondiale. 2004.
Anesthesia for emergency obstetric care: course handbook for trainers and participants. JHPIEGO and AMDD. 2003. Includes assessment tools, follow-up guide, and log books. Also available in Français (Guide des Participants, Guide des Formateurs, Listes de Vérification, Conseils pour les Formateurs, Registre de l’Expérience Clinique)
Infection prevention practices in emergency obstetric care. A supplement to Infection Prevention: A Reference Booklet for Health Care Providers. EngenderHealth and AMDD. 2003. Also available in Français and Español
Emergency obstetric care for doctors and midwives: course handbook for trainers and participants. JHPIEGO and AMDD. May 2002. Includes assessment tools, follow-up guide, and log books. Also available in Français (Guide des Participants, Guide des Formateurs, Listes de Vérification, Conseils pour les Formateurs,Registre de l’Expérience Clinique)
Manejo de las complicaciones del embarazo y el parto: guía par obstetrices y médicos. OMS, UNFPA, UNICEF, Banco Mundial. 2000, 2002.
Managing complications in pregnancy and childbirth: a guide for midwives and doctors. WHO, UNFPA, UNICEF, World Bank. 2000.
Quality improvement for emergency obstetric care: leadership manual and toolbook. An adaptation of COPE® EngenderHealth and AMDD. 2003. Also available in Français, and Español.
Improving emergency obstetric care through criterion-based audit. AMDD and Columbia University. 2002. Also available in Français, and Español.
Program Implementation Guidance: Essential Obstetric and Newborn Care (USAID & MCHIP, 2012)
District Planning Tool for Maternal and Newborn Health Strategy Implementation:A Practical Tool for Strengthening Health Management System (WHO, 2011)
Essential Medicines for Reproductive Health: Guiding Principles for the Inclusion on National Medicines Lists (WHO, UNFPA, PATH, 2006)
Course 6: Reducing maternal deaths: selecting priorities, tracking progress. Distance learning courses on population issues. UNFPA, AMDD, Columbia University. 2002. Also available in Français and Español
The design and evaluation of maternal mortality programs. Maine D, Akalin M Z, Ward V M, Kamara, A. Center for Population and Family Health, Mailman School of Public Health. Columbia University. June 1997. Also available in Français and Español
Human resources for health
WHO Recommendations: Optimizing Health Worker Roles to Improve Access to Key Maternal and Newborn Health Interventions through task-shifting (WHO, 2012)
Systems thinking - background pieces
Galea et al. (2010) "Causal thinking and complex system approaches in epidemiology"
de Savigny & Adam (2009) Systems thinking for health systems strengthening
Sterman (2006) "Learning from evidence in a complex world" (this article provides examples of policy resistance and offers an introduction to simulation modeling)
Chapman (2004) System failure: Why governments must learn to think differently"
TED Talk Eric Berlow: How complexity leads to simplicity" (a quick, 4-minute presentation about complex systems)
Maternal referral - Overview, country and district-level studies
Awoonor-Williams (2010) "Transportation and referral for maternal health within the CHPS System in Ghana" (presentation)
Holmes & Kennedy (2010) Reaching emergency obstetric care: Overcoming the ‘second delay’ (a briefing paper from Compass: Women's and Children's Health Knowledge Hub )
Medical Services Directorate, Federal Ministry of Health, Ethiopia: "Patient referral implementation guideline."
Murray & Pearson (2006) "Maternity referral systems in developing countries: Current knowledge and future research needs" (a review article describing the core elements of a maternal referral system and major knowledge gaps)
Gaym (2000) "Perinatal mortality audit at Jimma hospital, South-Western Ethiopia, 1990-1999"
Tools and metrics - studies and resources
UNICEF (2010) "Operating perinatal referral transport services in rural India" (A toolkit)
- PDQ: A tool book for community and health provider collaboration for quality improvement (2003)
- PDQ: Facilitation Guide (2004)
- PDQ: Monitoring and Evaluation Toolkit (2010)
Iiams-Hauser et al. (2010) "Utilizing SMS to improve the continuum of care for HIV positive pregnant women and HIV exposed children: The PMTCT Module" (poster; email Allegra for pdf)
- Description of mHealth Programs
- Description of ChildCount+ mHealth platform
- Kanter et al. (2009) "Millennium Global Village-Net: Bringing together Millennium Villages throughout sub-Saharan Africa"
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications for referral and health systems:
- Tanser (2006) "Methodology for optimising location of new primary health care facilities in rural communities: A case study in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa"
- Tanser (2006) "Geographical information systems (GIS) innovations for primary health care in developing countries"
- Please visit the Planning Platform for Maternal Health Services in Mexico made available by our colleague Juan Eugenio Hernández Ávila at the National Institute of Public Health, Mexico. This site works best in Internet Explorer and you will be able to view the website without a password for a couple of weeks after the Rethinking Referral Systems meeting concludes.
Murray et al. (2001) "Tools for monitoring the effectiveness of district maternity referral systems"
Transportation and road infrastructure - studies and resources
Giovine & Ostrowski (2010) "Improving transportation and referral for maternal health: Knowledge gaps & recommendations" (A technical report from the Improving Transportation and Referral for Maternal Health Meeting hosted by the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and convened by the Maternal Health Task Force and partners)
Transaid's technical case studies:
- "Emergency Transport Scheme (ETS) in Gombe State, Nigeria (Part 1 - Research and Stakeholder Sensitization)"
- "Emergency Transport Scheme (ETS) in Gombe State, Nigeria (Part 2 - Implementation)"
- "Emergency Transport Scheme (ETS) in Gombe State, Nigeria (Part 3 - Monitoring and Evaluation)"
- "Zambia Bicycle Ambulance Project"
- "Referral Strengthening (Stakeholder Engagement Regarding Referral System Improvements)"
- "South Africa Department of Health Transport Management Project"
- "Afghanistan Maternal Health Transport Project"
- "Northern Nigeria Emergency Transport Scheme"
Geleso Borrie (2010) "The role of road infrastructure in improving rural health solutions"
See eRanger Production Company's resources on this issue, too.
Our work is urgent
Globally, most maternal deaths occur in low-resource settings. Most of these deaths are preventable.
denotes AMDD publications.
- Monitoring emergency obstetric care handbook
- Reducing Maternal Deaths: Selecting Priorities, Tracking Progress COURSE GUIDE
- Reducing Maternal Deaths: Selecting Priorities, Tracking Progress MODULE 1: Understanding the Causes of Maternal Deaths
- Reducing Maternal Deaths: Selecting Priorities, Tracking Progress MODULE 2: Using Indicators to Assess Progress in Reducing Maternal Deaths
- Reducing Maternal Deaths: Selecting Priorities, Tracking Progress MODULE 3: Targeting Maternal Deaths through Policies and Programmes
- EmONC Training Curricula Comparison 2010